Convict Ships – NOPR


Phoenix 1822

Captain Thomas Weatherhead

The Phoenix arrived in Van Diemen’s Land 20 May 1822 with 182 male convicts, two having died on the voyage. – Surgeon Superintendent, Dr. Evan Evans, R. N. –

The guard comprised a detachment of the 3rd Regiment (Old Buffs), under the orders of Brevet Lieut.-Colonel Cameron, and Ensign Pigot, of the same regiment.

From Surgeon Evan Evan’s Journal: –

19 October 1821: Joined the ship at Deptford and reported to Captain Young, agent for transports.

27 October 1821: A detachment of the 3rd Regiment embarked on board as Guard over convicts.

4 November 1821: The ship dropped down from Deptford and arrived at Portsmouth on the 8th.

10 November 1821 at Portsmouth: Embarked 120 convicts from the Leviathan Hulk, and 64 from the York.

11 November 1821 at Spithead: Issued the bibles, testaments, prayer books etc to them [convicts] before the divine service.

30 November 1821 at Spithead: In consequence of the severity of the gale last night, the ship drove some distance, and this day the crew were employed in getting the anchors up and in working the ship to an anchorage at the motherbank which took up most of the day, consequently very few convicts permitted on deck

20 December 1821 at Motherbank: 9am the ship getting under weigh. The convicts with colds are nearly well today. The vaccination not having the least effect. 2pm working out of St Helens.

21 December 1821 in the Channel: 9am blowing very hard and has blown a hard gale all night, mostly from the SW. The prison very wet, leaking in every direction over the prison and most of the convicts very sea sick, bearing up for Dungeness. At 10am had the convicts with their wet things on deck, fire in the airing stove in prison, and had the prison well dried.

The Phoenix left Portsmouth on the 5th January (the day previously to the departure of the Mary Ann and Denmark Hill.)

They sailed by the Eastern passage, keeping very near the African shore, and in consequence had very long and constant calms near the line, and very warm weather. The death of one of the convicts at this time caused Evan Evans great worry that fever would spread throughout the vessel and he ensured that the decks were frequently fumigated with nitrous acid. They put into Rio de Janeiro where they stayed for six days.

The convicts were all very well behaved and all of them were taken out of irons a few days after departing Portsmouth and kept out of irons the whole of the voyage, with the exception of four days that the ship was at Rio De Janiero. The boys and men who could not read attended school daily. Evan Evans commented that the utmost harmony prevailed between himself and Brevet Lieutenant Colonel Cameron and Captain Weatherhead.

Surgeon Evan Evan’s Journal Phoenix  19 October 1821 – 25 May 1822

Convict Ships – NOPR

013494 Clampett, Muriel Evelyn
Whilom Wilderness
Self Published Noble Park, VIC, Australia 1993 Ex-Library 8vo – over 7″ – 9″ tall Hard Cover Good+
Illustrated laminated boards. Usual library marks plus some fading to spine and tops of boards. 91pages with b/w illustrations.       $20.00 AUD
Your dealer:
Terra Australis Books
(PO Box 5148)
Daisy Hill
QLD Australia  Email:
Phone: +61 7 33886755
Fax: +61 7 33886755

About pamea

Interests in World Affairs Hobbies: Crochet, Gardening, Doing Crosswords entering competitions in That's Life, Take 5 etc. Blogging in wordpress.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s